Pages

Saturday 19 November 2011

Ribbon Pakoda Recipe

Whenever my mom used to dish out Ribbon Pakodas, it means it was some special occasion. As a kid with curious pair of eyes, I used to observe how my mom used to make this special snack. My mom never taught me to make this south Indian snack, but I learnt it like Eklavya did :) After a huge gap of 10years, I tested my Ribbon Pakoda making skill and here it goes: 


Ingredients: 
Crispy hot Ribbon Pakoda
  • Rice Flour - 2.5cups
  • Gram Flour or Besan - 1.5 cups
  • Red Chilli powder - 2 tsb or as per your taste
  • Cumin powder - 1tsp (it gives that crispy flavor) 
  • Asafoetida or Hing - 1tsp
  • Turmeric Powder or Haldi - 1tsp for color but its optional
  • Ghee or Unsalted Butter - 2tsb
  • Salt to taste
  • Lemon Juice - 1tbs (optional. I like the tangy taste so I use it)
  • Water to knead the dough
  • Oil for deep frying 
  • Ribbon Pakoda Mould and Press
Procedure: 
  1. Mix the above ingredients and knead it into a soft dough like that of chapati dough 
  2. Take a heavy bottom pan and heat the oil 
  3. Take the press and insert the ribbon pakoda mould and put a handful of dough in it
  4. When the oil is super hot, press the dough in a circle
  5. Once the ribbon pakoda becomes crispy drain the oil and place it into kitchen tissue paper to remove the extra oil 
Serve the hot and crispy snack. One can also preserve it for days in a steel or plastic container...just ensure that you add small packet with a 2tbs of salt in the container. The salt not only keeps the snack fresh but also crispy by absorbing the moisture if any.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment